Feb 8 2013
by HIMS inc.
Use the following instructions to connect the Braille EDGE as a Bluetooth Braille display with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod.
Note: You must be running IOS 4.2 or higher on your i-device in order to use the Braille EDGE as a Bluetooth Braille display with VoiceOver. These instructions refer to the iPhone, however, they apply to all compatible i-devices: iPhone 3Gs and higher, iPad, and iPod Touch 3G and later.
On the Braille EDGE:
- Turn Bluetooth on by moving Bluetooth switch to the rear position.
- Press B(dots 1-2) or move to the “Terminal for Screen Reader” item in the menu and press “Enter”.
- Braille EDGE displays “Terminal mode”.
On the I-Phone:
- Navigate to Settings/General/Accessibility/VoiceOver/Braille.
- If Bluetooth is not activated on the I-Phone, it will prompt you to do this. WHEN Bluetooth is activated, the I-Phone searches for devices.
- The Braille EDGE should appear in the list of available Braille devices.
- Double tap the “Braille EDGE” in the Braille devices list.
- You are asked for a pin code. Enter 0000, as this is the default code for the Braille EDGE 40.
- Double tap the “Pair” button.
You should hear a chime on the iPhone, and the text displayed on the iPhone should appear on the Terminal for Screen Reader of your Braille EDGE.
For information on operating the iPhone using the Braille EDGE 40 as a Braille Terminal, please refer to Apple’s accessibility website at www.apple.com/accessibility
To exit “Terminal for Screen reader” press “Space-z (dots 1-3-5-6)”.